Monday, February 21, 2011

Tis' the Season...


As I sit here with snow falling around me I only have one thing on my mind... What is that you ask? Baseball. America's pastime. The sport with the richest history out of any professional US sport. A lot of people who haven't known me my whole life wonder why I'm such a fan of the sport. I'm you knew my up bringing you would understand why. I was born and raised in a small town in Southern Wisconsin and baseball was what we did and what we knew. For anybody that knows Wisconsin knows that the amazing summers are why all of us stick out the crappy winters. To me baseball is more then just a sport. It's a time of year, it's a season. To me it represents the beginning of Spring and the beginning of the warmer months.


As most of you know Spring Training started last week in both Florida and Arizona. This will be the first time in years that I won't be going to Brewers Spring Training in Maryvale, Arizona. You can bet money on it though that I'll be back next year. Living in Milwaukee now and living only 2 miles away from Miller Park Home of the Brewers, I not only hit about 35 to 40 games a year I also hold partial season tickets and have for the last 5 years. In Milwaukee baseball is a way of life. It's a calling. It's pretty much a prerequisite to live here. Now that Spring Training has started all everyone can talk about is opening day on April 4th and the start of the 2011 season. A season that may have more meaning then most people think...


I think most people agree that baseball, football and basketball are the top 3 sports in this great country we live in. And with looming lockouts next season in football and basketball; baseball could very well take center stage in October with the 2011 playoffs and the World Series. Baseball has had it's fair share of problems in the past whether it be the work stoppage during the '94 and '95 seasons or the steroid era in the late '90's... Major League Baseball has withstood a lot since it's creation in 1869. As we make our way into the 2011 season I feel baseball is in a perfect position right now especially with all the uncertainty in the other sports. As a baseball first fan I welcome the 2011 season with open arms and I invite anyone who wants to join me for the ride to jump on the bandwagon. Not only is my team (The Milwaukee Brewers) bringing a better team to the table in 2011, many other teams are following suit. The pitching staffs starting this season are some of the best I've seen in probably 15 years and the offenses are filled with some of the heaviest hitters in the game ever. In a couple weeks I'm planning on having a season preview and I will do my best to break it all down for you...


Until then feel free to follow me on twitter at @danwenzel aka Zel and join me in conversation about the upcoming season. Spring is on it's way and what I feel is the best time of year. I promise...


No comments:

Post a Comment